Friday, July 27, 2012

This 'n' That

I read magazines from back to front. Always have, always will. I'm not sure why I started reading them this way. It may be that most of them have interesting editorials on the back page. It may be that the magazines I read regularly, Time and Entertainment Weekly, reserve the back sections for film and book reviews. Does anyone else have this same strange proclivity?

God, it's hot. We've lived here for almost eighteen years, so I should be used to the July/August heat. But this summer it just poops me out. Maybe that's because I'm now eighteen years older than when we first arrived.

Tonight, the Olympic opening ceremonies are on (tape delayed, of course), and I look forward to the whole extravaganza. Even the archery should be intriguing with an armless man who shoots with his feet. This month's Sports Illustrated (near the back, naturally) had a bit about how much technology has created improvements in equipment--new Speedo swim suits that fit like skin to make bodies even more streamlined than in the past and custom-fitted caps and goggles, electronic sensors in socks and vests of taekwondo combatants to register blows, a $15,000 lightning bike for U.S. cyclist Taylor Phinney with an extra-stiff carbon-fiber frame, an electronic timing system for track and field races that can slow down finishes to 2,000 frames a second and even down to a millionth of a second per frame. Whoa, that's slow. There are lots more improvements, but you get the drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment