Monday, July 23, 2012

Late July

Really humid today with big puffy clouds trying to rain on us, never quite doing it. The monsoon season is about half over, just the rest of July, all of August, and part of September to go. Then – WHAM! – Halloween, Thanksgiving, and here we go again, Christmas. Fleeting time.

I went to the wound center for my every-five-weeks checkup. Matt, my podiatrist, said he thought my hole was looking much improved. I was glad to hear it. Nearly three years. Wow, that’s a long time to be tending a wound. Driving there, I listened to Aaron Copeland’s Appalachian Spring. I hadn’t heard it for much too long. I think it may be my favorite piece of classical music. And our new car is such a joy. A cherry-red Kia Optima. Why did we wait so long to get it? I don’t know. I guess we both once thought we’d live forever. Now we both know better.

After I got home, I went to the Beardsley barber shop and waited patiently for Rose, avoiding like plague the new guy on the end. I made the sorry mistake a few months ago of sitting in his chair. He never met a silence he didn’t feel compelled to fill. I think he may have become a barber just for the captive audience, poor unsuspecting schmucks trapped in his chair and forced to listen to his barber babble. The sign over his chair should read “Babble Bob.”

No comments:

Post a Comment